Stay Safe – Stay Informed

We will be taking a break from our normal coverage in the Bulkley Valley, stay tuned to local news stations, stay informed. Food for thought comes from a doctor in Prince Rupert, its a letter we should all read and share, and take to heart, until this plague passes, God Bless all of you, may you all do a pass on this horrible virus.

My Only Coronavirus post:

I would like to speak my mind as an individual and as a physician and put things in perspective for Prince Rupert – the town I call home.

I would like to make it known that I am concerned about the Coronavirus outbreak worldwide, but specifically in our community and I would like to explain why:

Extrapolating data from China it is known that
80% of people who contract the Coronavirus will recover at home without any treatment. Yes I agree , that is great. The odds are totally in our favour as individuals.
I see lots of friends post this statistic and calling this horrible illness nothing worse than the flu.

I would like to share the other side of the coin that has me as Physician , privileged with the task of being responsible for the lives of so many people I care about in this community, extremely worried.

The same data set shows around 60% of the population will contract this illness in a community where it is spreading.

Of those 20% will need admission to hospital for their care – the other 80% are referenced above will recover at home.
5% of the hospitalized patients will require ventilation.

So for Prince Rupert:
Based on a population of 12000 people 7200 will contract this virus if allowed to spread

Of those – 20% which equals 1440 people – will need to be admitted in hospital, we have 26 beds in our hospital!

Of those admitted 5% would need intubation which equals 72 people, we have 2 ventilators!

Now as I see it you can still call it just a flu , or you can help me and my colleagues help you by:
– practicing social distancing
– if you are asked to isolate please isolate this is not the time for a quick trip somewhere
– wash your hands
– don’t touch your face
– educate others on these very important things

At this time I pray for the health of our world and our community.

Dr Gillaume Coetzee

"Now you know the rest of the story"
brought to you by
"Two Feathers"




In the event we are using copyrighted material, we are doing so within the parameters of the Fair Dealing exception of the Canadian Copyright Act.

See our Copyright Notice

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.